Monday, June 16, 2008

Gaby is my hero

Just a quick note about the 5th grade choir: it's now functioning again thanks to the vice-principal Gaby.

At the meeting we got everything worked out between me, her, and the teachers, and it functioned for one rehearsal. The second rehearsal, the kids came straggling in ten and fifteen minutes late, when their break started and not before. Clearly it is just too much to expect for these teachers to take the responsibility to build choir time into the kids's schedules. So I complained to Gaby and she said she'd see about things on Tuesday.

On Tuesday the kids got there between five and ten minutes late, which was not great but better, so I was less frustrated. But after the rehearsal Gaby told me she'd noticed they weren't there at 5:00, so she'd gone down to the classrooms to look for them. And there they were, painting, doing their art class as if to say, Choir? What choir? The teachers started giving excuses like, But if the kids don't want to go, do I have to make them? Gaby said, Yes, you do, this is a music class and they have to go. The kids said, I do want to go! And so thanks to Gaby they got there by 5:10.

If I'd gone there and seen this, there would no longer be a fifth grade choir. I'd have simply blown a fuse. But now, every time I come to rehearse, I go straight to Gaby and ask for my choir. And she gives them to me. :) And we get to sing!! This is the genius of rehearsing in the room adjacent to the principal's office: the vice principal hears your lovely little choir of children singing, decides it's a great thing to have happen, and steps in and protects it for you when necessary. Yessss.